Monday, July 2, 2012

Issue 10: July 4th

E ho`ohuli ka lima i lalo.
Turn the hands down.
Hands palms downward is usually when the hands are most productive.

Another late post!  On the up side, I've completed my course so there will be no more excuses for late or minimal posts!  On the down side, this is my last lame excuse blog for the summer (or at least the next month).
808 ID Booth
In any case, this week is the week that our Independence Day falls on.  While I'm not overly patriotic and even if I were I hardly think this would be the appropriate place to harp on about that - in Volcano town on Big Island, that means that it's time for the annual Fourth of July parade and community festival!  This includes a very interesting craft fair!
Volcano is generally known as a small town filled with art hippies and the annual summer craft fair does not disappoint.  Beautiful wares of all types can be found ranging from kitschy masks, soaps, or potholders to beautifully carved koa items, sparkling glassware and jewelry.
But why is this relevant?  Well I know many of our club members frequently travel to the Big Island and would perhaps appreciate the beautiful pieces inspired by our native surroundings.  I've seen glassware inspired by our lava fields that practically glows on its own, or lively sculptures of the i`iwi, things that are just fantastic.
But whether or not you can afford these treasures, just the sight of them all is pretty inspiring.  Or maybe it's just me.  In any case, if you're on the island, come on up to Volcano to check it out.  The parade ends at the Volcano Community Center, where the festival and craft fair is held.

No comments:

Post a Comment