Thursday, March 14, 2013

Issue 24: Loko i`a

Hala no ia la o ka pololi.
A hungry day passes.
An expression of thankfulness that there was food for another day.

Hawaiian Fishponds - loko i`a
Obviously not my photo.
I kept putting this week's issue off because I've got a paper due soon, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to talk about my favorite innovation of the Hawaiian people - fishponds!  Most of my handful of readers know what fishponds are, but for those who don't, they were sections of the reef that were enclosed with lava rock walls so that ocean water and the occassional fish could get in, snack on some algae and whatnot, but could not escape from.  These ponds were not exactly small either - these were massive enclosures that were huge undertakings for the local people.  The largest fishpond in Hawaii was Kuapa Pond, which I recently got to read about in  my law school studies.  See, Kuapa Pond used to encompass Hawaii Kai and Koko Marina, pretty much all the way to the ocean.  Can you imagine all the fish in that space?  Just about 523 acres of fish pond.  I certainly thought it was amazing.
And while fishing in the ocean at certain times was traditionally kapu, taking from the fish ponds was not.  This was because the fish were cultivated specifically to be eaten by the people, especially in times of need.
Also!  My favorite part about the fishponds is that this is a completely unique innovation by ancient Hawaiians!  They were the first to think of such a thing and put it to action!  So very, very clever.
Well, I've got to get back to my paper now, I just wanted to use this opportunity to share my limited knowledge on the subject with you all.  If you have anything to add or corrections to make, please share in the comments!

By Sabrina Robello
Sourced:  Here and here, but also my own personal knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment