Sunday, September 16, 2012

Issue 18: Lei Material of Ni`ihau, Momi, Laiki, Kahelelani

Organism of the Week! - Pupu o Ni`ihau:  Momi, Laiki, and Kahelelani
I can't find the latin names of these species :(
Dark colored shells are called momi kahakaha ikaika (powerful)
and the light ones are ahiehie
These shells are found on the beaches of Ni`ihau and used to make lei.  They are usually about a quarter of an inch in size and vary in color as you can see.  What species are they from?  A snail perhaps?  Or some ocean phenomena?  I don't know and google isn't very forthcoming.  Enjoy photos of the shells anyways, and let me know what you think!  Which is your favorite?

By Sabrina Robello
Laiki shells
Kahelelani shells, which come in a broad range of colors
Sourced: Mostly here, photos from google


















** This blog will be operating in this abridged format until I figure out law school.  That means more pictures and no olelo no`eau/community events section for now.  I intend to reincorporate the olelo no`eau section once I get around to buying Mary Kawena Pukui's collection of them, but its not quite a priority for me at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment